Summer in Downtown
Jun 24, 2019
The temperature rises, and suddenly, life just seems a little better. Flowers bloom, restaurant patios fill up, and the days last longer. In Downtown Cedar Rapids, summer is a time of district beautification and fun events! Here’s what to expect this season.
- 6,400 Flowers Planted
- 52 Varieties of Flowers Planted
- 41 New Trees - Half in Kingston Village, Half in Downtown Core
- 6 Food Truck Fridays in Greene Square
- 8 Storm Drain Murals to Highlight What Goes Down the Storm Drains Goes to the Cedar River
- 14,000 Average Attendance at Each of 8 Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmers' Markets, Presented by Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust
- 88 Keys on Each Community Piano, Painted by Local Artists
- 1,000 Dollar Value of Each of Three Grand Prizes for the Downtown Cedar Rapids Summer Passport (A Buy Local Initiative)
Beautification projects and events create a vibrant, lively downtown. Great downtowns pack a positive economic punch that benefits the entire city. These efforts create a district that keeps current and prospective residents coming back. For more information on the initiatives and events listed above, head to www.cedarrapids.org/downtown.