Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
Mar 12, 2020
UPDATED ON 03/13/20
The Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance is closely following the developments of the novel (new) coronavirus and the illness known as COVID-19. The Economic Alliance will continue to follow recommendations from the City of Cedar Rapids, Linn County Public Health, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and the Centers for Disease Control. Currently, these organizations recommend everyone follow best-health guidelines including washing your hands and staying home if you feel sick. Public health authorities are not currently recommending any changes to business or leisure activities, except for advising vulnerable populations to avoid large gatherings.
At this time, nearly all Economic Alliance events, programs and meetings will be held as scheduled. Following an announcement on March 13 from the City of Cedar Rapids' that all non-essential City public meetings are canceled until March 31, the following event has been impacted:
- ImpactCR Leaders Roundtable with Cedar Rapids Mayor and City Council Members on March 18. This event has been postponed; a new date will be announced once determined.
We are committed to heeding the expert guidance of public health authorities and will shift as the situation dictates. Everyone can do their part in prevention and preparation:
- Stay home if you are exhibiting flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath. It is recommended that people with these symptoms stay home from school, work, public spaces, and social gatherings to prevent others from getting ill.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and throw the tissue away immediately after you use it. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your inside elbow area.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze. If you are not near water, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid shaking hands or exchanging business cards. If you do, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Please follow trusted resources for additional information about COVID-19 and Coronavirus here:
Iowa Department of Public Health: https://idph.iowa.gov/
Centers for Disease Control & Public Health: https://www.cdc.gov/
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/
Linn County Public Health: https://www.linncounty.org/1372/COVID-19
Resources for Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 and Coronavirus:
U.S. Chamber resources for employers: Guidance for Employers: https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default/files/guidance_for_employers_to_plan_and_respond_to_coronavirus.pdf & Workplace Tips for Employees: https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default/files/coronavirus_workplace_tips_for_employees.pdf
SBA to Provide Disaster Assistance Loans for Small Businesses Impacted by Coronavirus: https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-newsroom/press-releases-media-advisories/sba-provide-disaster-assistance-loans-small-businesses-impacted-coronavirus-covid-19