The Economic Alliance is committed to providing guidance and resources as businesses navigate challenges faced due to the pandemic.
We're here to help.
Looking for information on financial assistance programs? Reach out to Local Business Project Specialist Mike Lukan and Research and Analytics Specialist Laura Thomas to find out where to start. Other questions can be answered at 319-398-5317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP and PPP2) (PPP and PPP2) - This program has re-opened for 1st and 2nd time borrowers. Contact your lender to begin the application process.
- FAQ - COVID-19 Federal Relief - Updated 1/4/2021
- Small Business Webinar hosted by the US Chamber of Commerce - 12/22/2020
- US Chamber Guide to Small Business COVID-19 Emergency Loans - 12/22/2020
- Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) -
- Employee Retention Tax Credit Program - A tax credit for employers who are closed, partially closed, or experiencing significant revenue losses as a result of COVID-19. Employers who receive a PPP loan are NOW eligible for this tax credit.
- Iowa Economic Development Authority Business Recovery Resources - State, federal and other financial assistance options, business and financial guidance and resources.
- COVID-19 Disaster Response Fund - Local fund led by the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. Rapid response grants to partners where resources are most needed. Grant applications for nonprofits closed April 15. View grant recipients HERE.
Businesses should work with their current lenders to determine exactly what offering is the best fit for them.
All businesses who have received or applied for assistance through the state and/or federal financial relief programs should properly document their finances related to the assistance in the case their business is audited over the following year.
- 1/14/21 - Overview of the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant with SBA
- See our Events Calendar for more upcoming events and resources.
COVID-19 Related News
Reopening Your Business
- U.S. Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division Guidance about requirements and protections of Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA FAQ and FAQ for Employers):
- Regional Workforce Survey on COVID-19 Impacts - Economic Alliance members are encouraged to fill in this survey by The City of Cedar Rapids, ICR Iowa, Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, Iowa City Area Development Group, and Kirkwood Community College to help measure and respond to workforce needs in our region. Specifically, the survey looks to accomplish the following: Support businesses during their recovery; Identify changes within businesses to better understand the current landscape; Gauge business forecasting, including hiring information and community impact; Develop a strategy to work with community partners and businesses to support workforce changes; Help develop relevant services and programs to support local workforce needs.
- City of Cedar Rapids' Streamlined Permit Process Supporting Outdoor Service Area for Retail - Allows for temporary outdoor service areas on private property and public sidewalks to retail, restaurants, bars, and fitness centers like patio dining or merchandise displays.
- IEDA Mitigating COVID-19 for Iowa Businesses and Organizations
- Iowa Workforce Development Resources
- MaskofWellness.com - A directory of businesses agreeing to keep society, and the economy, going with a positive approach promoting responsible tactics.
- Mitigating COVID-19 in Iowa Restaurants Recorded on 5/21
- COVID-19 Business Prevention Webinar for Manufacturers Recorded on 5/14 - Representatives from the Iowa Governor’s Office, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa Workforce Development and Iowa Department of Public Health will provide an overview of preventative measures and resources for manufactures as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes resources for reopening businesses in a responsible manner.
- SBDC's Back2Biz Guidebook
- SCORE Small Business Resilience Hub
- City of Cedar Rapids Reopening Toolkit
- Ensuring Safety of Water Systems After Reduced Operation
- Guidance on Reopening from the Iowa Department of Health as of April 27
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19 from OSHA
- Iowa’s OSHA-approved State Plan - Includes PPE fact sheet, guidance for retail workers and more
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidelines by Industry from the CDC
- How You Can Plan for a Safe Reopening from Inc.
- Design and HVAC Modifications to Help Mitigate the Spread from West Plains Engineering
HR/Legal & Employment Resources
- Business Best Practices - Rethinking workplace policies related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Discussion by MEDCO, HEDCO and Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance. Recorded 11/18/20.
- Unemployment Information from Iowa Workforce Development
- Guidance on Iowa’s Unemployment Insurance Extension Under CARES Act
- ICR Career Collective - Direct and personalized support and resources for employers and job seekers experiencing changes in employment at this time. For rapid sharing of information among workforce partners, employers and job seekers, join the Facebook Group!
- Guidance from Iowa Department of Public Health on COVID-19 Outbreaks in the Workplace (Recorded April 17) by Linn County Public Health
- Department of Labor's Wage & Hour Division Families First Coronavirus Response Act Fact Sheet for Employers
- Department of Labor's Wage & Hour Division Families First Coronavirus Response Act Questions and Answers
- Notice Poster for Employees
Mental Health Resources
- COVID Recovery Iowa - Offering free virtual counseling and assistance for all Iowans affected by COVID-19.
- Mental health resource for employers from Linn County Public Health
Stay informed and look for information from reliable and trusted sources, including:
- Iowa Department of Public Health Vaccine Rollout Webinar - Recorded 1-8-21
- Iowa COVID-19 Vaccine Web Page
- Infectious Disease Advisory Council
- Advisory Council on ImmunizationPractices (ACIP)
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control & Public Health
- World Health Organization
- Linn County Public Health