The Economic Alliance is committed to providing guidance and resources as businesses navigate challenges faced due to the pandemic.
We're here to help.
Looking for information on financial assistance programs? Reach out to Local Business Project Specialist Mike Lukan and Research and Analytics Specialist Laura Thomas to find out where to start. Other questions can be answered at 319-398-5317 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Business Project Specialist
Research and Analytics Specialist
- Targeted EIDL Advance - Provides eligible businesses with $10,000 in total grant assistance. If you received the EIDL Advance last year in an amount less than $10,000, you may be eligible to receive the difference up to the full $10,000. The Targeted EIDL Advance, and any previously received Advance, will not exceed $10,000.
- Restaurant Revitalization Fund – The American Rescue Plan Act established the Restaurant Revitalization Fund (RRF) to provide funding to help restaurants and other eligible businesses keep their doors open. This program will provide restaurants with funding equal to their pandemic-related revenue loss up to $10 million per business and no more than $5 million per physical location. Recipients are not required to repay the funding as long as funds are used for eligible uses no later than March 11, 2023.
- Latest Federal Stimulus Package: Read what's in the American Rescue Plan Act for businesses
- Paycheck Protection Program (PPP and PPP2) (PPP and PPP2) - SBA is no longer offering as all funds have been exhausted.
- Shuttered Venue Grant Program - (SVOG) program includes over $16 billion in grants to eligible shuttered venues, to be administered by SBA's Office of Disaster Assistance. Eligible applicants may qualify for grants equal to 45% of their gross earned revenue, with the maximum amount available for a single grant award of $10 million. $2 billion is reserved for eligible applications with up to 50 full-time employees.
Vaccine-Incentive Small Business Tax Credits – Allows businesses with less than 500 employees to be reimbursed by the federal government allowing employees paid time off to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
Employee Retention Tax Credit Program - A tax credit for employers who are closed, partially closed, or experiencing significant revenue losses as a result of COVID-19. Employers who receive a PPP loan are NOW eligible for this tax credit.
- Small Business Update with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce - Recorded 3/12/21, Learn more about the Restaurant Revitalization Fund - The American Rescue Plan created a $28.6 billion fund to provide grants to restaurants impacted by COVID-19. The grants are up to $10 million per entity, or $5 million per physical location.
- Guide on Cross-Program Eligibility
- Iowa Economic Development Authority Business Recovery Resources - State, federal and other financial assistance options, business and financial guidance and resources.
- COVID-19 Disaster Response Fund - Local fund led by the Greater Cedar Rapids Community Foundation. Rapid response grants to partners where resources are most needed. Grant applications for nonprofits closed April 15. View grant recipients HERE.
Businesses should work with their current lenders to determine exactly what offering is the best fit for them.
All businesses who have received or applied for assistance through the state and/or federal financial relief programs should properly document their finances related to the assistance in the case their business is audited over the following year.
- See our Events Calendar for more upcoming events and resources.
Reopening Your Business
- U.S. Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division Guidance about requirements and protections of Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA FAQ and FAQ for Employers):
- Regional Workforce Survey on COVID-19 Impacts - Economic Alliance members are encouraged to fill in this survey by The City of Cedar Rapids, ICR Iowa, Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance, Iowa City Area Development Group, and Kirkwood Community College to help measure and respond to workforce needs in our region. Specifically, the survey looks to accomplish the following: Support businesses during their recovery; Identify changes within businesses to better understand the current landscape; Gauge business forecasting, including hiring information and community impact; Develop a strategy to work with community partners and businesses to support workforce changes; Help develop relevant services and programs to support local workforce needs.
- City of Cedar Rapids' Streamlined Permit Process Supporting Outdoor Service Area for Retail - Allows for temporary outdoor service areas on private property and public sidewalks to retail, restaurants, bars, and fitness centers like patio dining or merchandise displays.
- IEDA Mitigating COVID-19 for Iowa Businesses and Organizations
- Iowa Workforce Development Resources
- MaskofWellness.com - A directory of businesses agreeing to keep society, and the economy, going with a positive approach promoting responsible tactics.
- Mitigating COVID-19 in Iowa Restaurants Recorded on 5/21
- COVID-19 Business Prevention Webinar for Manufacturers Recorded on 5/14 - Representatives from the Iowa Governor’s Office, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa Workforce Development and Iowa Department of Public Health will provide an overview of preventative measures and resources for manufactures as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes resources for reopening businesses in a responsible manner.
- SBDC's Back2Biz Guidebook
- SCORE Small Business Resilience Hub
- City of Cedar Rapids Reopening Toolkit
- Ensuring Safety of Water Systems After Reduced Operation
- Guidance on Reopening from the Iowa Department of Health as of April 27
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19 from OSHA
- Iowa’s OSHA-approved State Plan - Includes PPE fact sheet, guidance for retail workers and more
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidelines by Industry from the CDC
- How You Can Plan for a Safe Reopening from Inc.
- Design and HVAC Modifications to Help Mitigate the Spread from West Plains Engineering
HR/Legal & Employment Resources
- Business Best Practices - Rethinking workplace policies related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Discussion by MEDCO, HEDCO and Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance. Recorded 11/18/20.
- Unemployment Information from Iowa Workforce Development
- Guidance on Iowa’s Unemployment Insurance Extension Under CARES Act
- ICR Career Collective - Direct and personalized support and resources for employers and job seekers experiencing changes in employment at this time. For rapid sharing of information among workforce partners, employers and job seekers, join the Facebook Group!
- Guidance from Iowa Department of Public Health on COVID-19 Outbreaks in the Workplace (Recorded April 17) by Linn County Public Health
- Department of Labor's Wage & Hour Division Families First Coronavirus Response Act Fact Sheet for Employers
- Department of Labor's Wage & Hour Division Families First Coronavirus Response Act Questions and Answers
- Notice Poster for Employees
Mental Health Resources
- COVID Recovery Iowa - Offering free virtual counseling and assistance for all Iowans affected by COVID-19.
- Mental health resource for employers from Linn County Public Health
Stay informed and look for information from reliable and trusted sources, including:
- Iowa Warm Line – 1-844-775-9276
- Your Life Iowa - Call: (855) 581-8111 or Text: (855) 895-8398
- US Chamber of Commerce COVID Vaccine Digital Resources Center
- Iowa Department of Public Health Vaccine Rollout Webinar - Recorded 1-8-21
- Iowa COVID-19 Vaccine Web Page
- Infectious Disease Advisory Council
- Advisory Council on ImmunizationPractices (ACIP)
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control & Public Health
- World Health Organization
- Linn County Public Health