New this year, Next Gen. Summit is part of the Iowa Ideas conference happening Sept. 20 and 21 in Downtown Cedar Rapids. Next Gen. Summit and Iowa Ideas is geared at helping young professionals connect with peers, develop professionally and thrive in Iowa. Attendees can take part in a surprise mixer, and choose from 72 additional sessions within Iowa Ideas.
Iowa Ideas + Next Gen. Summit
Iowa Ideas launched in 2017 as a nonpartisan, statewide learning experience designed to explore the key questions and big ideas that will shape the future of Iowa. Who better to have at the table when discussing the future of Iowa than the next generation of Iowa leaders?
Here's what gain from this partnership:
- Access to all Iowa Ideas tracks and sessions. Your ticket purchase gives you access to any sessions offered in any other track. There will be a total of 80 sessions at Iowa Ideas 2018. 80! We're positive you'll find something you're passionate about.
- Additional half-day of sessions. Next Gen. Summit has traditionally been a one-day conference. Keep the momentum going for another half-day on Friday, Sept. 21.
- The chance to share your thoughts with our community's decision makers. Young professionals hold the power to shape the future of our state, and today's leaders want young professionals’ thoughts and opinion. Make your voice heard this year.
While this partnership will heighten the experience of Next Gen. Summit attendees, here's what's not changing:
- A full, energy-packed day of local and national experts designed to inspire, empower and develop young professionals.
- Scholarship opportunities. Students and Iowa residents can fill out a short application and answer the question “Why do you want to attend the Iowa Ideas conference?” for a chance to attend the conference for free.
- Student discounts. High school and college students can take advantage of a discounted ticket price for the full conference.
- Networking opportunities with other area young professionals. We're still going to get you meeting new people and chatting with your peers!
Ticket sales are open now! All ticket sales will be completed through thegazette.com. A two-day, or single Thursday Iowa Ideas ticket is your pass to Next Gen. Summit 2018. Click here to buy your ticket now.
Schedule of Events
|7:00 - 7:45 a.m.||Registration|
|8:00 - 8:45 a.m.||Opening Session|
|9:00 - 10:00 a.m.||
YPs Issues Panel
A look at issues impacting young professionals from across the state with various YP Iowa board chairs and leaders taking a collective look at issues and programs/initiatives to address these issues.
|10:15 - 11:15 a.m.||Effective Negotiation/Collaboration
What are the benefits to having a negotiating plan? How do you negotiate and come to terms with varied perspectives or priorities? Topics of negotiation will cover collaborations and individual development.
|Michelle Williams, University of Iowa|
|11:30 - 1:00 p.m.||Luncheon Keynote|
|1:15 - 2:15 p.m.||Bringing a New Idea Forward
How do you pursue new ideas - within yourself, your company, your colleauges? This will look at effective individual communication and idea generating in personal and professional pursuit.
|Mandy Weber, NewBoCo|
|2:30 - 3:30 p.m.||Lessons Learned: Advice from the Pros
A gathering of soon-to- be or recently retired leaders from across the state will share lessons learned and advice.
|3:45 - 4:45 p.m.||Life in Iowa: What We Think, What We Know
Living in Iowa brings plenty of benefits, as well as unique challenges. Panelists will weigh in on favorite parts of life and biggest challenges, hitting on topics like accessibility, amenities, quality of life, things to do, professional development, idea generation and more.
|5:00 p.m.||Happy Hour Social|
|8:45 - 9:45 a.m.||Keynote||Zack Mannheimer|
|10:00 - 11:00 a.m.||Idea Building Part 1: What Makes an Idea Great
Facilitated discussion on how you can take ideas from Next Gen. Summit back to your workplace and community to strategically maximize impact; best practices around sustainability and engagement.
|11:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||Idea Building Part 2: Turning Great Ideas into Action
Group work and report out focused on taking one element of the Thursday session and utilizing the content and tools from Workshop 1. Interactive group work, implementation, report out.
|12:00 - 12:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks|