Next Gen. Summit is a two day conference created to inspire, empower and develop young professionals. In 2018, we're going bigger than ever before. Next Gen. Summit will be offered as a track at The Gazette's Iowa Ideas conference September 20-21 in Downtown Cedar Rapids!
Use promo code "NEXTGEN" through July 23 for a discounted rate of $150! Register now!
Next Gen. Summit + Iowa Ideas
Iowa Ideas launched in 2017 as a nonpartisan, statewide learning experience designed to explore the key questions and big ideas that will shape the future of Iowa. Who better to have at the table when discussing the future of Iowa than the next generation of Iowa leaders?
Here's what gain from this partnership:
- Access to all Iowa Ideas tracks and sessions. Your ticket purchase gives you access to any sessions offered in any other track. There will be a total of 80 sessions at Iowa Ideas 2018. 80! We're positive you'll find something you're passionate about.
- Additional half-day of sessions. Next Gen. Summit has traditionally been a one-day conference. Keep the momentum going for another half-day on Friday, Sept. 21.
- The chance to share your thoughts with our community's decision makers. Young professionals hold the power to shape the future of our state, and today's leaders want young professionals’ thoughts and opinion. Make your voice heard this year.
While this partnership will heighten the experience of Next Gen. Summit attendees, here's what's not changing:
- A full, energy-packed day of local and national experts designed to inspire, empower and develop young professionals.
- Scholarship opportunities. Students and Iowa residents can fill out a short application and answer the question “Why do you want to attend the Iowa Ideas conference?” for a chance to attend the conference for free.
- Student discounts. High school and college students can take advantage of a discounted ticket price for the full conference.
- Networking opportunities with other area young professionals. We're still going to get you meeting new people and chatting with your peers!
Next Gen. Summit + Iowa Ideas
Ticket sales are open now! All ticket sales will be completed through thegazette.com. A two-day, or single Thursday Iowa Ideas ticket is your pass to Next Gen. Summit 2018. Click here to buy your ticket now.
Schedule of Events
- Q+A: Young professional leaders of Iowa: A look at issues impacting young professionals from across the state. Local YP chapter leaders will explore issues and possible solutions.
- How to bring new ideas to life: It takes persuasion, bravery and grit to create something new — but the results can be both personally and professionally enriching. This session will look at the skills needed for generating, communicating and leading your new idea.
- Luncheon with all Iowa Ideas attendees: A big-picture look at issues that will define the next 30 years.
- Communication skills for negotiations and collaborations: What are the benefits to having a negotiating plan? How do you negotiate and come to terms with varied perspectives or priorities? Topics of negotiation will cover group work, collaborations and individual development.
- Beyond career success: Building a meaningful life: Hear sage advice from leaders who have made a difference in their communities, in addition to reaching the top echelons of Iowa's premiere companies. What drives them to make a difference, and how did they optimize their careers for maximum impact?
- What we think, what we know: Life in Iowa: We all know living in a small state can come with both unique benefits and quirky challenges. This session will dig into the issues YPs care about with a light-hearted format.
- Zachary Mannheimer, Next Gen. Summit 2018 keynote: After moving to Iowa, Zachary Mannheimer quickly became immersed in creative placemaking. He'll share his story, including the benefits of working in a city like Des Moines, and his vision for keeping all of Iowa (yes, even rural Iowa) vibrant.
- Workshop: Finding your voice, designing our future: Attendees will be asked to consider their own strengths in the context of larger community goals. We will reflect on everything learned during Iowa Ideas 2018 and put young professionals in the driver's seat for imagining our shared future.