Glasses clink from the tables of al fresco diners. Flowers blooming on every corner. Cyclists pedal down the bike lane towards a local brewery. Tunes from pianos fill the air. Welcome to summer in Downtown Cedar Rapids. Here's what you can expect this summer:
Food Truck Friday
Food Truck Fridays in Downtown Cedar Rapids are HERE! Every Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., starting May 4 through September 7, come to Greene Square to enjoy local food trucks.
Stop by on your lunch break or bring the kids along and enjoy the splash pad. All are welcome!
Special thanks to Park Cedar Rapids for their assistance in food truck parking and Cedar Rapids Parks and Rec for maintenance of Greene Square.
Colorful Flowers, Plants and Trees
This spring, 40 planters throughout the district received spring bulbs and other green plants went in over 200 planters. Six new trees were planted this spring, with more to come in the fall.
Community PianosSeven new community pianos from West Music recently made their way to the downtown area. These are a favorite of those who consider themselves piano prodigies and those that just enjoy the tunes. Here are the businesses where you'll find the pianos painted by local artists:
- Theatre Cedar Rapids (102 Third St. SE)
- The Lost Cuban (209 Third St. SE)
- Cedar Rapids Public Library (450 5th Ave. SE)
- Iowa Brewing Company (708 Third St. SE)
- Popoli Ristorante & Sullivan's Bar (101 3rd Ave. SW)
- Fong's Pizza (1006 Third St. SE)
- Brewhemia (1202 Third St. SE)
More Bike RacksCyclists rejoice! Two more bike racks were recently installed, one near Dash Coffee Roasters on Third St SW and the second near the Southside parking ramp on Sixth Ave. SE near Black Sheep Social Club and Clockhouse Brewing.
Storm Drain Murals
Thanks to a partnership with Downtown Cedar Rapids, the City of Cedar Rapids and Iowa BIG, seven storm drains recently received a colorful face lift paired with an important message: what goes down the storm drain doesn't stay in the storm drain..it goes to the Cedar River. Here's where to find the storm drain murals:
- Two drains located between 1st and 2nd Avenue SE can be accessed along 3rd Street SE via the alley adjacent to Theatre Cedar Rapids.
- One drain located between 2nd and 3rd Avenue SE can be accessed along 3rd Street SE via the alley adjacent to White Star Ale House.
- One drain located between 3rd and 4th Avenue SE can be accessed along 3rd Street SE via the alley adjacent to the Cornerstone building.
- One drain located between 1st and 2nd Avenue SE can be accessed along 2nd Street SE via the alley adjacent to Red's Public House.
- One drain located between 2nd and 3rd Avenue SE can be accessed along 2nd Street SE via the alley under the skywalk, adjacent to the Cornerstone building.
- One drain located between 3rd and 4th Avenue SE can be accessed along 2nd Street SE via the alley adjacent to Edward Jones.
Find additional informtion on the City's website.
Spring Cleaning for United Way's Day of CaringEach year, the Economic Alliance coordinates efforts to to clean up downtown and surrounding neighborhoods on the United Way's Day of Caring. Here's the amazing impact this year's volunteers had:
- Transamerica: deep cleaned five alleys and pulled weeds from over 2,000 yards on the Cedar River.
- Whirlpool: Stained 80 benches Downtown and collected 140 gallons of litter from the MedQuarter
- Kirkwood Community College: Spread nearly 30 yards of mulch on the Cedar River Trail on Fourth St. SE.
- Cedar Rapids Cares (Cedar Rapids Mayor and City Council Members): Prepped for the Cedar Rapids Downtown Farmers' Market by organizing inventory, painting yard games and cleaning 140 signs.
- Rockwell Collins: Volunteers in Czech Village/NewBo spread 25 yards of mulch and collected 750 gallons of trash. In Kingston Village, volunteers collected 350 gallons of trash and cleaned out 35 outdoor cigarette ashtrays.